In 1958 (some sources 1959), members of the artistic factions and groups decided to establish a comprehensive association that represented all artists, including painters, sculptors, ceramists, and architects. The result was a qualified association which represented an important aspect of art, culture, and modern thought, rooted in prehistory.
Iraqi Plastic Artists Society represents a wide variety of artists with branches in 13 provinces and holds art exhibitions regularly.
The building of the headquarter was designed by the architect and painter Kahtan Al Madfai. The ground was once owned by the King family but was since bought by the Gulbenkian Foundation and donated to the Iraqi Plastic Artists Society.